Publishing at the University of Alberta Libraries
Propose a New Open Journal Title
We are now accepting proposals for our next round of publication development and invite Canadian open access journals and student journals to apply. The next deadline for proposal submissions is June 2, 2023 with acceptance decisions made by June 16, 2023.
In order to meet our mandate of strengthening equitable and sustainable frameworks for scholarly publishing in Canada, we require that prospective journals meet some basic criteria for inclusion in our program, and have carried out some of the preliminary planning and investigation required to successfully launch a journal by completing a journal proposal form:
Before you submit your proposal, please ensure that you:
- Meet all of the eligibility requirements (see below)
- Have scheduled a meeting with a member of our team (in person or online) to discuss your proposal in advance of the proposal deadline
- Have reviewed our Memorandum of Understanding
We are happy to answer any questions you may have about our publishing program or advise on proposals at any time. You can reach us during regular business hours at email@example.com.
1. Open access model and licensing (all points below are required):
- The journal will agree to make its contents publicly available online, free of charge, immediately upon publication.
- The journal will ensure that content published after the date of its signed agreement with the University of Alberta Library will be licensed with one of the Creative Commons Licenses
- The journal will not charge fees to authors, including page charges or article processing charges.
2. Canadian affiliation (must meet at least 1 of the following points):
- This Journal is affiliated with a Canadian scholarly, learned or professional association, or Canadian post-secondary institution
- The journal editorial board includes member(s), who are affiliated with a Canadian post-secondary institution (please list in section 8)
3. For student journals only
- The journal is supported by a faculty, staff, or librarian advisor
- The journal is based at the University of Alberta.