Library Cards & Borrowing Privileges
Borrowing Privileges - Members of the Public
Type of Material
Fines per item
|UAlberta Books & Periodicals||2 weeks||4*||$1.00/day|
|Specialized materials (multimedia, sound recordings, gov't docs, microform, curriculum, etc)||Varies (check with library). Some specialized material may not be available to visitors.||4*||$1.00/day|
|UAlberta Course Materials||No Loan||None||n/a|
Placing Holds: Yes, on materials held at any NEOS Library including the UAlberta (some exceptions apply)
Number of items that can be borrowed: 30
UAlberta/NEOS items can be renewed four times if no other user needs the item. If you still need material after your renewal limit has been reached, you will need to bring the material back to a UAlberta/NEOS Library Service Desk. It will then be discharged, and you may sign out the material again.
*When items are overdue, your account will be blocked and you will not be able to renew online. If you need assistance with renewing a book , please call 780-492-4174 / Augustana: 780-679-1156.
Fines are charged at the rates outlined in the table above to a maximum of $31.00 per item. When fines reach $50.00 or above, borrowing privileges for the account will be blocked until the fine is paid down to below $50.00.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
Borrowing privileges will be suspended: when items on loan are overdue (starting on the first day they are overdue) or when bills/accruing fines total over $50.00.
Lost Book Charge
Before paying a lost book charge, it's a good idea to contact the owning library first to determine whether the book may have been returned without being discharged.
There will be a charge of $150.00 for each lost item. If a lost item is found and returned after a lost book charge has been paid, a refund will issued up to one year after payment of the lost book charge. The found material must be returned direclty to a Service Desk before initiating the refund process. $31.00 late fines will still apply.
- Discretionary fine (for breach of regulations, abuse of privileges, etc): $50.00
- NSF Cheque Charge: $25.00
- Rebinding/repair charges for items returned damaged: Charges will vary
How to Avoid Fines:
- Return materials on time
- Check your date due slip or My Account
- Check your @ualberta.ca email for Recall and Due Date notices
- Renew material online at My Account or by calling the library at 780-492-4174 / Augustana: 780-679-1156.
- Plan for out of town stays by returning material that might be recalled before you leave
Note: please have your library card barcode information ready in order to pay fines. Fines payments are not accepted at UAlberta Library Service desks. Below are the options for paying Library fines:
- InfoLink: Cash or ONEcard payment can be made in-person at all six (6) InfoLink locations. Credit or debit card payment is also available at the InfoLink ONEcard Service Centre (HUB mall) and the InfoLink Desk at Student Life Central (Lower Level SUB). Note: if paying with debit or credit card, $5.00 minimum required. Please refer to InfoLink website for hours of operation.
- By Mail: Make cheques payable to University of Alberta Library; include your ONEcard Barcode Number or Student ID Number on the back of the cheque. If your cheque does not already include your current address and telephone number, include this information on the cheque as well. Mail cheque to:
Financial Systems and Analysis Office
University of Alberta Library
5th Floor, Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2J8
- By Phone: For those who do not have a CCID login or online access, credit card payments can be made be by phone by calling Library Financial Services and Analysis Office at 780-492-6305, Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:00. If you leave a voicemail, provide only your name and phone number. Do NOT leave your credit card number on the voicemail. FSA will normally return calls on the same day, except for messages left towards the end of business hours.
Fine Appeals: If you feel your fine is not valid, please submit a Fines Appeal Form.