Top Places to find OER ↓
- BC Campus Open Ed A collection of open textbooks hosted by the provincial British Columbia initiative, BC Campus.
- Open Library Ontario A collection of OER hosted by the provincial Ontario initiative, ECampus Ontario.
- OER Commons A multidisciplinary OER collection with a wide variety of resource formats.
- Open Stax High quality OER textbooks and teaching resources.
OER Textbooks ↓
- Open Education Alberta Adaptable open textbooks created at Alberta institutions.
- Milne Open Textbooks Milne Open Textbooks publishes high-quality, peer-reviewed textbooks for use in higher education.
- Open Textbook Store A free collection of mathematics-related open textbooks.
- Textbook Equity Free college level textbooks with Creative Commons Licenses.
- Wikibooks Open textbooks in a many different languages.
OER Collections ↓
- BC Campus OER by Discpline Lists a wide range of open educational resources organized by discipline.
- Cool4Ed California's Open Online Library for Education.
- Creative Commons Searches a corpus of Creative Commons licensed materials including text, videos and images.
- Internet Archive A non-profit digital library offering free universal access to books, movies, music and archived web pages.
- Lumen Learning OER course materials outlined into fully developed courses.
- MERLOT A repository of multimedia teaching and learning materials maintained by the California State University System.
- Open Course Library Collection of shareable course materials like activities, readings, and assessment tools.
- Open Michigan Collection of OER from University of Michigan.
- Public Domain Core Collection A collaboration between Ryerson and Brock Universities, this collection makes over 50 titles of public domain works available as Pressbooks publications.
- The World Lecture Project Find academic videos from around the world.
Open Online Courses ↓
- Academic Earth Free online courses from a number of institutions.
- Khan Academy Exercises, videos and learning materials for a variety of disciplines.
- MIT Open Courseware Open course content from MIT courses.
- Open Yale Courses Introductory-level courses in a variety of subject areas. Including access to recorded lectures and course materials.
- The Open Education Consortium Courses, webinars and course materials from around the world.
- Saylor Academy Self-paced courses in variety of subjects.
To consult a list OER that other instructors have used, try the BC Campus’ OER Adoption Finder.
- Search by discipline or subject first.
- If searching by keyword, start with broader concepts and then narrow down using discipline-specific terms and/or limiters available on the platform.
- If available, use the “advanced search” function.
- Confirm the conditions of use/licence/copyright status of the resource. Some of the suggested repositories include free digital resources that are not necessarily “open” (i.e. under a Creative Commons licence or in the public domain) for reuse or modification without permission. Not sure what the copyright status is of a resource you want to use? Ask the Copyright Office at email@example.com.
The Search Tips on this page are adapted from The University of Ottawa’s Open Educational Resources Guide, published under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license.
Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license.