Study and Work Space Policies for the University of Alberta Libraries
Campus libraries are places for learning. People need quiet places to learn and work as well as space for group learning and collaboration. Libraries are also centres for teaching, where library staff instruct individuals and groups in the use of information resources and materials. To create an environment that meets the study and work needs of our campus community we have established noise level zones in the libraries to suit varying types of study:
- Common Zone - Usually busy with high traffic levels. These zones are intended as group study areas and / or instructional areas and include library service desk areas. Here, conversational noise is to be expected. Book Group Study Space.
- Quiet Zone - Intended to serve as quiet space for readers and students. In these zones only low-level talking is permitted.
- Silent Zone - Intended to serve as silent, individual study space for readers and students who need to concentrate. No talking is permitted.
Please consult the
Study Area Directory & Noise Zones for designated areas. Each campus library also has a study area directory and signage indicating designated areas.
Appropriate Access and Use:
- Please do not leave your belongings to “claim" a workspace or computer workstation. Unclaimed belongings may be moved to the Library Service Desk by library staff to make room for other library users.
- Never leave valuables unattended. Don't Feed the Thieves Protective Services Video
- For more information, see Community Expectations at the University of Alberta Libraries.
Cell Phones and Electronic Devices:
- Please turn off the ringer or volume on cell phones and other electronic devices when you enter the library. Please use cell phones only outside of study and work areas, in locations such as library foyers. Laptop computers are welcome in all study areas.
- In consideration of other library users, we ask that you respect these library study area designations and noise level expectations, and modify your level of conversation and activity accordingly.
Listening: Music & Video, etc:
- When using your personal electronic devices, laptops, and public computers, please respect your peers by using earphones and keeping the volume low or off.
- All personal electronic devices must be used with earphones and the volume must be kept low.
- When using public computers and laptops, the sound should be muted unless earphones are being used and the volume is kept low.
Food and beverages:
- May be consumed in the library in a responsible manner. Please dispose of trash in the waste and recycling containers provided. For more information, see the Community Expectations at the University of Alberta Libraries.
Vending, Soliciting, Posting Materials, Photography and Filming:
- Library users are asked to refrain from vending, peddling, soliciting or petitioning in the libraries.
- Prior consent must be obtained before you may post or distribute any materials in the libraries.
- Prior consent must be obtained before you may take organized or posed photographs in the libraries. Wedding photos are not permitted.
- Filming on campus, including in the libraries, must be approved by UA Marketing & Communications .