L-Pass (Library Pass) FAQ
- Q: What is the L-Pass (Library Pass) service? A:The University of Alberta Libraries is working in partnership with the Edmonton Public Library (EPL) to provide access to public library services to University of Alberta students and staff. Anyone registered for the L-Pass can access all services currently available to any EPL card holder, including online resources, inter-library loans, books, magazines and much more.
- Q: Is there a cost for the L-Pass? A: There is no cost. The University of Alberta Libraries is providing this service in partnership with EPL.
- Q: Can anyone register for the L-Pass? A: Most current University of Alberta students and staff are eligible to register for the L-Pass.
- Q: I am a Faculty of Extension student. Can I register for the L-Pass? A: In general, students registered only in Faculty of Extension courses are not eligible for the L-Pass. Campus Computing IDs (CCIDs) and library privileges vary by Faculty of Extension program. Please see Extension Student Library Cards for more information. Regular EPL memberships are available at any branch of the Edmonton Public Library.
- Q: I work at the University of Alberta. Can I register for the L-Pass? A: University of Alberta staff are eligible for this service.
- Q: I'm a current student but I already have an EPL library card. Can I still get the L-Pass? A: Yes. Existing EPL card holders can register for the L-Pass through the University of Alberta Libraries' L-Pass registration website. The barcode on your ONEcard will be applied to a new EPL account. This means that while a student at the University of Alberta, you will use the barcode on your ONEcard to access EPL services -- not your existing EPL library card.
- Q: I am a University of Alberta student and I already have a TAL card (The Alberta Library). Can I still use the L-Pass? A: Yes. You can still use your TAL card at all participating library systems in Alberta. The TAL card does not, however, provide access to all available EPL services and the L-Pass does.
- Q: I have outstanding charges on my existing EPL account. Can I still register for the L-Pass? A: Yes.
- Q: How do I register? A: It's simple. Go to the University of Alberta Libraries' L-Pass registration website and follow the registration prompts. Once registered, the barcode on your ONEcard will serve as your access to Edmonton Public Library services, online and in person.
- Q: What if I lose my OneCard and/or get a replacement OneCard for any reason? A: Please report your lost L-pass registered OneCard to Edmonton Public Library as soon as possible. You will need to talk to an Edmonton Public Library staff member to reactivate your L-pass on your replacement OneCard.
- Q: Do I have to register for this service each year? A: Yes. Your L-Pass will expire each year on September 30th for staff and students registered in the previous school year (September - August). You can register 40 days before your account expires or anytime after it expires provided you are still a student or staff member at the University of Alberta. For example, a current student registering for the L-Pass on November 20, 2014, will have an expiry date of September 30, 2015.
- Q: I am registered in the winter session and will continue my studies in the fall. Do I have access to EPL services during spring and summer sessions? A: Yes. L-Pass accounts for all current students will expire on September 30th.
- Q: Why do I need to give my personal information to the Edmonton Public Library to obtain an L-Pass? A: EPL requires this information to set up your account in its system. Your personal information will not be used for any other purposes.
- Q: I tried to register for the L-Pass but was unsuccessful. What do I do? A: Please contact us via any of the University of Alberta Libraries Ask Us services for assistance.
- Q: Can I register for this L-Pass at the Edmonton Public Library? A: Registration for the L-Pass is only available through University of Alberta Libraries' L-Pass registration website. You can register at an EPL location by going online to the University of Alberta Libraries' L-Pass registration website.
- Q: I am an existing EPL library card holder. Can I re-use my existing PIN with this service? A: Yes. Existing EPL PINs can be re-used. Only the barcode on your ONEcard is applied to your EPL account. If you do not have a PIN, you will be asked to create one for access to online services.
- Q: I have forgotten my EPL PIN number. How can I find out what it is? A: You can use EPL's Forgot your PIN? service. You can also call any EPL branch to receive your PIN number over the phone. Confirmation of your card number and other account information will be required.
Resources and Materials
- Q: What services are available with the L-Pass? A: You can use all services currently available to any EPL card holder, including online resources such as Overdrive audio books, inter-library loans, books, videos/DVDs, magazines and much more.
- Q: Do I have to pay late charges for overdue materials at EPL? A: Yes. All EPL users assume responsibility for overdue, damaged or lost materials. Payment must be made at a branch of the Edmonton Public Library. Outstanding late charges for Edmonton Public Library materials do not affect your University of Alberta Library account or privileges.