Library Services During Covid-19
- Ask Us!
- Chat hours: Mon-Thurs 8am-8pm, Fri 8am-6pm, Sat & Sun 11am-6pm, Closed Stat Holidays.
- Email anytime, and we will respond within 2 business days or less.
- We work with you to: find information, use library resources, cite sources, troubleshoot access issues, use common apps for academic purposes…
- We connect you with: Librarians with subject & scholarly communications expertise, who provide in-depth reference, classroom instruction, etc.
- We refer you to: campus services; other libraries & information services.
- Online collections are available from the library website.
- Current UA Students and staff can access library resources from off-campus.
- Guides to Library Resources By Subject
- Course Materials (online only)
- NEW: Tools for Instructors: Create Reading Lists and include them in eClass
- NEW: Inter-Library Loan services are now able to include requesting for print materials as we will search for libraries who can ship their print materials to us. We will also provide scans of chapters and articles (subject to copyright limitations) from the UofA Library's print collections, which can be requested through the ILL web form. Please submit your requests.
The Rutherford library book drop is OPEN on the east side of the library (facing HUB Mall).
- October 15 As of October 19, Cameron hours will be 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- October 8 Chat Services, Cameron Library, and Curbside Pickup are closed on Monday, October 12 for the Thanksgiving Stat holiday. Questions on Monday? Email us
- September 11 The University Archives will reopen to researchers on Tuesday, September 15. Visit the archives website for hours and more information.
- September 3 Books may be returned at Rutherford Library in Edmonton and Augustana Library in Camrose.
- August 30 Our seat booking system is now live! Book a socially distanced computer or study space in Cameron Library starting September 1st.
- August 29 Cameron Library will be closed Monday, August 31st.
- August 27 Curbside pick-up is now available at Augustana Library
- August 25 Hours at Cameron Library change on Wednesday, August 26, 2020. See more details here.
- August 24 During fall term, the capacity of Cameron Library will increase. Advance booking of a study spot will be required. More info to come.
- July 31 Effective August 1, face masks are now required at all times in all areas of Cameron Library.
- July 27 Cameron Library is closed on Monday, August 3 for the Heritage Day statutory holiday. Chat service is also closed for the holiday weekend from Saturday, August 1 to Monday, August 3.
- July 22 Face masks must be worn as you are moving through common areas of Cameron Library. Masks can be removed once you are seated and maintaining a 2 meter distance from others.
- July 6 Summer term starts and chat is now open on weekends from 11am-6pm from July 6 - August 14
- June 29Computers in Cameron Library will not be available on Friday, July 3rd due to maintenance.
- June 26Cameron Library and our Chat Service will be closed Wednesday, July 1st for Canada Day.
- June 24Computers in Cameron Library will not be available on Friday, June 26th due to maintenance.
- June 21Curbside pick-up is now available at the Rutherford Library. Learn more about curbside pick-up.
- June 16The Library Chat Help service is available Mon-Fri 8am-6pm throughout intersession. Outside of those hours, please email us.
- June 11Masks must be worn walking within Cameron Library and food is temporarily banned.
- June 10We are working hard to provide curb-side pickup of library resources. Coming at the end of June.
- June 8The first floor of Cameron library can now have a maximum of 25 people (formerly 15 people).
- May 27 Improved access to library collections through Hathi Trust Emergency Temporary Access Service
- May 14 Cameron Library and Chat service will be closed Monday, May 18th for Victoria Day.
- May 7 All items you have signed out now have a due date of September 30, 2020.
- April 27 Questions about textbooks and other course materials for Spring 2020 and onward? Visit our Course Materials page.
- April 9 Unwind Your Mind is running online from April 8 to 15.
- April 7 Cameron Library main level will be closed from Thursday, April 9 at 6pm until Tuesday, April 13 at 8am for Easter weekend.
- April 6 Online chat for information & research help available 11am-6pm over the entire Easter weekend, April 10 through 13. Or email us any time.
- March 29 Cameron Library access limited to 15 people on the main level only.
- March 24 Moving out of residence? Take library books with you, to return when we all come back. No fines! If you need to leave library books behind, look for library return bins at your residence, or ask residence staff for help.
- March 19Keep your books - all return slots (drop boxes) are now closed.
- March 18All items you have signed out now have a due date of May 31, 2020.
- March 16All our locations except Cameron Library (north campus) are now closed.
- March 15The library will cancel late fees from March 13 until the situation changes.
Print Collections / Physical Collections
- Library materials are available to request for Curbside Pickup.
Some restrictions apply.
- UA students and staff may place requests on available items from participating NEOS Libraries for pickup at Rutherford Library. Pickup is also available at Augustana for Augustana students & staff.
- Members of other NEOS Libraries who are participating in curbside service must pick up at their home locations.
- This service is not currently available to visitors. Students from other academic institutions who are studying in Edmonton, we are working on it.
- Please return items at the Rutherford Library outside book drop (east entrance). Both Augustana Library book drops are also open. All other UofA book drops remain closed. Click here for Bookdrop information for other NEOS Libraries.
Course Materials (formerly reserves)
- Lending print textbooks for short term loans is not possible due to health and safety concerns.
- Many textbook publishers do not sell ebook versions of textbooks to libraries. Where possible, we have added ebook versions of textbooks to the Library collection.
- If we do not currently own an ebook version of a required textbook, we can investigate purchasing an ebook version for our collection. Recommend a Purchase.
Special Collections & Archives
- Bruce Peel Special Collections: click here for up-to-date information on BPSC services.
- University of Alberta Archives: Visit is by appointment only, and when information cannot be provided in digital format. Click here for up-to-date information on the Archives services.
- Books loaned to UA students and staff with a term long due date (eg. Sept. 30, Jan. 31, May 31) are once again subject to being recalled, if it is placed on hold by another borrower.
- You have 7 days to return recalled items, from the day you receive the email notification. This recall due date cannot be altered by library staff.
- An overdue recall on your account will block you from borrowing or placing holds until it is returned.
- If you return a recall on the last day of the recall due date, your account may be blocked temporarily (up to 3 days later), while the book remains in quarantine for processing. This block will clear once we can check the book into the library again.
- The Rutherford book drop is available 24 hours a day.
- Does something seem wrong with your account? Please submit a Fines Appeal/Account Inquiry
- Cameron Library computing and study spots are available for booking by current UA Students & Staff.
- All other Library Locations are closed until further notice.
- Cameron Library Main Floor and Lower Level Hours
- Rules of Use:
- Booking Required. Go to library.ualberta.ca/seats to reserve your seat in Cameron.
- Student/Staff ONEcard required for access.
- Practice physical distancing. Keep at least 2 metres (6 feet) between you and others.
- Face masks must be worn at all times in all areas of Cameron Library, except if you are seated in an individual study room.
- Food is not allowed. Beverages in closed containers are permitted.
- See University of Alberta Campus Safety Checklist
- Cameron Library Cleaning and Security:
- A Bee-Clean staff member will be on duty to provide cleaning most hours when the library is open. Special attention will be paid to all high-touch surfaces such as door handles, table surfaces, bathrooms, and cell-phone charging lockers.
- We recommend that you bring cleaning supplies for immediate cleaning of the computers and surfaces you use. Please be aware that this is a public shared use space.
- Security staff are onsite at all times.