Library Services During Covid-19
Email we will respond within 2 business days or less.
We work with you to: find information, use library resources, cite sources, troubleshoot access issues, use common apps for academic purposes.
We connect you with: Librarians with subject & scholarly communications expertise, who provide in-depth reference, classroom instruction, etc.
We refer you to: campus services; other libraries & information services.
All library locations are closed until further notice.
External book drops are available 24/7 at Rutherford and Augustana Libraries.
- Online collections are available from the library website.
- Current UA Students and staff can access library resources from off-campus.
- Guides to Library Resources By Subject
- Course Materials (online only)
- Tools for Instructors: Create Reading Lists and include them in eClass
- Interlibrary Loans - Please submit your requests. Note that all staff are currently working from home and requests for print items will be filled when staff return to campus. Where possible, we will try to obtain access to a digitized copy.
- Library staff are currently working from home without access to our physical collections. If you require scans of chapters, we will not be able to provide those for the start of classes and it will take some time to complete such requests when staff return to work on campus.
Print Collections / Physical Collections
- Returns - While the libraries and curbside services are closed, our external book drop locations at Rutherford and Augustana libraries remain available 24/7. Please allow for more time to see dropped off items come off your library account.
- Holds - Our items can still be placed on hold, but fulfilment of hold requests will be delayed until curbside service resumes.
Course Materials (formerly reserves)
- Lending print textbooks for short term loans is not possible due to health and safety concerns.
- Many textbook publishers do not sell ebook versions of textbooks to libraries. Where possible, we have added ebook versions of textbooks to the Library collection.
- If we do not currently own an ebook version of a required textbook, we can investigate purchasing an ebook version for our collection. Recommend a Purchase.
Special Collections & Archives
- Bruce Peel Special Collections: Click here for up-to-date information on BPSC services.
- University of Alberta Archives: Click here for up-to-date information on the Archives services.
- May 10 While the libraries and curbside services are closed, our external book drop locations at Rutherford and Augustana libraries remain available 24/7. Please allow for more time to see dropped off items come off your library account.
Our items can still be placed on hold, but fulfilment of hold requests will be delayed until curbside service resumes.
- May 6 Curbside Pickup Service is closed until new restrictions are lifted.
- May 5 Curbside Service is closed Wednesday, May 5th and Thursday, May 6th.
- May 1 Hours for Curbside Pickup at the Rutherford Library have changed for Spring Semester to Monday-Friday 11-4:30. See the curbside pickup page for more information.
- April 10 In response to new safety directives from the Alberta Government, Cameron Library and the Seat Booking Service will be closed beginning April 11th, 2021 until further notice. If you have a booking you will receive a cancellation notice.
- March 29 Cameron Library is now open with 15% capacity for individual study. UAlberta OneCard access and advance bookings required. Entry only available via the Cameron southwest exterior doors; then swipe/tap with valid ONEcard at the internal door. Note: There is no access to Cameron from CAB. All other library locations remain closed.
- March 3We plan to reopen Cameron Library with 15% capacity for individual study on Monday, March 29th. UAlberta OneCard access and advance bookings required. All other library locations remain closed.
- January 22Curbside Pickup will reopen on Wednesday, January 27.
- January 22 Cameron Library remains closed. Computer labs are available in Education and ECHA.
- January 12Due to varying restrictions at Libraries in the NEOS system, holds may only be placed on materials from your home Library. UA holds will not be filled until the current restrictions are lifted. All due dates have been updated. No books are due before January 31. Please check back for updates or ask for help if you have questions.
- January 8 Onsite library services (e.g. Curbside Pickup and Cameron Seat Booking) remain closed to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in accordance with current provincial health restrictions and University guidelines.
- January 7UA Library book drops (Rutherford and Augustana) are currently closed. No returns are possible. If your books are due and you are unable to renew them online, please ask us for help.
- December 10 Curbside Pickup will be closed beginning December 12 with plans to reopen January 13, pending provincial guidelines. All return bookdrops will be closed as of December 12th at 5pm. Cameron Library Study Space remains open as a critical service during exams - seats need to be booked in advance.
- December 9 Due to public health restrictions announced on December 8, occupancy in Cameron Library has been reduced from 152 seats to 46 seats (15% occupancy).
- December 9For Fall exams Dec 10-22: Modified hours for Cameron Library are Monday-Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm and Saturday 8:30am to 6:00pm
- December 8 The Rutherford book drop will be closed December 23 at 7pm until January 3 - the book drop is available 24/7 before and after this closure.
- December 8 Upcoming holiday hours are now posted.
- November 30 Due to enhanced public health restrictions occupancy in Cameron Library has been reduced from 152 seats to 67 seats.
- October 15 As of October 19, Cameron hours will be 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
- October 8 Chat Services, Cameron Library, and Curbside Pickup are closed on Monday, October 12 for the Thanksgiving Stat holiday. Questions on Monday? Email us
- September 11 The University Archives will reopen to researchers on Tuesday, September 15. Visit the archives website for hours and more information.
- September 3 Books may be returned at Rutherford Library in Edmonton and Augustana Library in Camrose.
- August 30 Our seat booking system is now live! Book a socially distanced computer or study space in Cameron Library starting September 1st.
- August 29 Cameron Library will be closed Monday, August 31st.
- August 27 Curbside pick-up is now available at Augustana Library
- August 25 Hours at Cameron Library change on Wednesday, August 26, 2020. See more details here.
- August 24 During fall term, the capacity of Cameron Library will increase. Advance booking of a study spot will be required. More info to come.
- July 31 Effective August 1, face masks are now required at all times in all areas of Cameron Library.
- July 27 Cameron Library is closed on Monday, August 3 for the Heritage Day statutory holiday. Chat service is also closed for the holiday weekend from Saturday, August 1 to Monday, August 3.
- July 22 Face masks must be worn as you are moving through common areas of Cameron Library. Masks can be removed once you are seated and maintaining a 2 meter distance from others.
- July 6 Summer term starts and chat is now open on weekends from 11am-6pm from July 6 - August 14
- June 29Computers in Cameron Library will not be available on Friday, July 3rd due to maintenance.
- June 26Cameron Library and our Chat Service will be closed Wednesday, July 1st for Canada Day.
- June 24Computers in Cameron Library will not be available on Friday, June 26th due to maintenance.
- June 21Curbside pick-up is now available at the Rutherford Library. Learn more about curbside pick-up.
- June 16The Library Chat Help service is available Mon-Fri 8am-6pm throughout intersession. Outside of those hours, please email us.
- June 11Masks must be worn walking within Cameron Library and food is temporarily banned.
- June 10We are working hard to provide curb-side pickup of library resources. Coming at the end of June.
- June 8The first floor of Cameron library can now have a maximum of 25 people (formerly 15 people).
- May 27 Improved access to library collections through Hathi Trust Emergency Temporary Access Service
- May 14 Cameron Library and Chat service will be closed Monday, May 18th for Victoria Day.
- May 7 All items you have signed out now have a due date of September 30, 2020.
- April 27 Questions about textbooks and other course materials for Spring 2020 and onward? Visit our Course Materials page.
- April 9 Unwind Your Mind is running online from April 8 to 15.
- April 7 Cameron Library main level will be closed from Thursday, April 9 at 6pm until Tuesday, April 13 at 8am for Easter weekend.
- April 6 Online chat for information & research help available 11am-6pm over the entire Easter weekend, April 10 through 13. Or email us any time.
- March 29 Cameron Library access limited to 15 people on the main level only.
- March 24 Moving out of residence? Take library books with you, to return when we all come back. No fines! If you need to leave library books behind, look for library return bins at your residence, or ask residence staff for help.
- March 19Keep your books - all return slots (drop boxes) are now closed.
- March 18All items you have signed out now have a due date of May 31, 2020.
- March 16All our locations except Cameron Library (north campus) are now closed.
- March 15The library will cancel late fees from March 13 until the situation changes.